About the Company
Founded in 1963, Oregon Freeze Dry Foods (“OFD”) is the world’s technological leader in freeze-drying and the largest independent freeze-dryer in North America. The Company freeze-dries a broad variety of products, some with highly technical specifications, including foods, pharmaceutical ingredients, specialty chemicals, medical devices, cultured organisms and other sensitive biological materials. OFD’s food ingredients are key components in the products of some of America’s largest food brands. The Company also has its own brands – Mountain House® continues to be a favorite among backpackers and campers, as well as for the home food storage market, and easymeal® is in its early stages in the food service and institutional food storage markets. Finally, OFD is one of the largest military food suppliers, supplying our troops around the world with wholesome meals since the late 1960s.
OFD is headquartered in Albany, Oregon, approximately one hour south of Portland. There, the Company has three manufacturing facilities on a 35-acre industrial site and more than 500 employees. OFD has more than 20 million kilograms of drying capacity at its three Oregon plants, including a plant addition in Rochester, NY at the end of 2018, representing about 70% of North American Capacity.
OFD is owned by Endeavour Capital and the OFD CEO, in partnership with OFD’s management team. Endeavour has been successfully investing in middle-market companies for over 25 years. It believes in low leverage to support growth, a long-term time horizon, and leaving a company in better condition than when it arrived. Endeavour and the management team have a vision for continuing OFD’s substantial growth and diversification.
About the Position
This position is a key role within Finance as we strive to become a world-class organization and be a value-creating, customer-focused partner in driving business results. This role will require collaborating with various groups throughout the company as well as frequent interaction with the CFO and senior leaders across organization to ensure the financial, strategic, and operational objectives for the business are met. This fast-paced role provides a unique opportunity to own and drive strategic analysis and improvements to our current processes.
- Works with a wide range of people to ensure the company has the financial and informational resources to accomplish its goals.
- Coordinate across various teams to review and influence the key assumptions driving our budgets, forecasts, and other predictors of future results to ensure accuracy, reasonableness, feasibility, and credibility.
- Improve financials by analyzing results, monitoring variances, identifying trends, and recommending actions to management.
- Oversees the financial statements and analyses for the monthly management report.
- Continues the roll-out of recently implemented Activity-Based Costing system to ensure senior leaders understand costs by segment and sku.
- Evaluates proposals for financial return on investment.
- Various projects and ad-hoc tasks, always with a focus on process improvement, automation and attention to the big picture.
- Responsible for establishing/driving process and process improvements, consolidate forecasts/reports, analyze the trends/variances identifying business drivers behind the numbers for meaningful executive level summaries and analytics.
- Design, implement and track KPI’s to measure performance against strategic goals, identify emerging trends and provide insights about the drivers of performance and ROI.
- Responsible for cost accounting, accounts payable, credit, billing, receivables, payroll, and general ledger.
- Coordinates and prepares necessary documents for annual audit conducted by independent accountants.
- Responsible for company’s treasury functions and communication with banks and lending institutions.
- Responsible for company’s tax functions and communication with outside accountants for tax preparation.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s in Business or Accounting
- 8+ years in relevant FP&A or Controllership experience; experience leading and developing teams
- Strong Cost Accounting acumen
- Strong EQ and experience with partnering across organizations