About the Company
Evenstad Estates is a portfolio of world-class Pinot Noir and Chardonnay brands from Oregon and Burgundy that is positioned to change the landscape of fine wine by re-defining the reference for world-class wines and hospitality. Domaine Serene has been named by the Portland Business Journal as one of Oregon’s 25 Most Admired Companies for 3 of the past four years and was honored with the Oregon State University Austin School of Business Management Award for Business Renewal in 2017 for outstanding planning and business sustainability.
Founded in 1989 by Ken and Grace Evenstad, Domaine Serene has quickly become Oregon’s iconic producer of world-class Pinot Noir and Chardonnay and is the only winery in the world to have secured a top 3 or better ranking for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from Wine Spectator’s coveted Top 100 Wines of the Year list, while also winning the wine industry’s top honor, Wine Spectator’s Distinguished Service Award in 2018. Located at the top of the Dundee Hills in the Northern Willamette Valley, Domaine Serene’s picturesque Winery Hill Estate is home to one of the world’s most advanced winemaking facilities and is the site of Oregon’s first custom-built winery dedicated exclusively to the production of world-class Chardonnay and sparkling wine. Evenstad Estates owns and meticulously manages over 1,000 acres of land, including 275 acres of world-class, hillside Pinot Noir and Chardonnay vineyards, all of which are dry-farmed and LIVE certified sustainable.
In April 2015, The Evenstads purchased Château de la Crée, a beautifully restored Château and state of the art winery located in Santenay, Burgundy dating back to the 15th Century. The Evenstads are proud owners of a modern gravity-flow winery in Santenay as well as 25 acres of sustainably-farmed vineyards throughout some of the most renowned districts of the Côte de Beaune. The Evenstad’s vineyard holdings include 18 distinct vineyard climates in the districts of Pommard, Volnay, Meursault, Puligny-Montrachet, Chassagne-Montrachet, Santenay and Maranges, and include seven Premier Cru and two rare Clos Monopole vineyards. Evenstad Estates now encompasses three brands in Burgundy, including Les Tourelles de la Crée, Château de la Crée and Maison Evenstad.
Driven by an inspired team of talented executives, winemakers and business managers Evenstad Estates strives to continually change the landscape of fine wine by leading the quality pursuit of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and sparkling wines. Evenstad Estates has been placed into a one-of-a-kind legacy trust, ensuring that it can never be sold and that the pursuit of quality will endure for centuries to come.
Director of Strategic Development, Evenstad Estates (Domaine Serene, Château de la Crée, Maison Evenstad and Les Tourelles de la Crée)
Drive the development and launch of new strategic initiatives of the company from research phases to viability to recommendation to execution and assessment. Support the executive team with key project management needs including project team organization, strategic research and analysis, pro-forma business modelling, feasibility analysis, execution and establishment, and monitoring of key performance indicators.
The ideal candidate is an open-minded, highly motivated self-starter, quick to learn and driven to succeed, with an uncommon level of bandwidth and dedication to professionalism and leadership of the highest caliber. The candidate must possess the ability to work in a fast-paced, luxury wine environment where continuous improvement is always expected. This position includes executive interaction and some confidential responsibilities and will help to shape the strategic direction of the wineries, brands and sales channels. The position is based at the winery atop the beautiful Dundee Hills of Oregon (45-60-minute drive from Portland). The position reports to Ryan Harris, President of Evenstad Estates and will have close interaction with the CFO, Director of Winemaking and Viticulture and some interaction with the founders, Ken and Grace Evenstad.
Role & Responsibilities
- Engage with senior executives at a high level to brainstorm new initiatives, revenue streams and ways to optimize the business.
- Conduct research and analysis to identify new business initiatives while also addressing and prioritizing opportunities to improve existing business channels and systems.
- Act as the Project Manager for various critical projects across multiple departments, leading the project team and keeping projects on time and on-budget, while communicating progress and key milestones to executive leadership.
- Accurately model potential new business scenarios, sales channels, resource scenarios, growth initiatives, new ventures, etc. to make sound, business-minded recommendations to the President and executives.
- Remain agile and flexible to be able to take on new initiatives, both large and small while simultaneously juggling multiple priorities.
- Key contributor of the execution of the annual All Company Meeting.
Requirements & Qualifications
- MBA strongly preferred.
- Brand Marketing and Business Management experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent management and leadership and a track record of building successful high-performance project teams.
- Project management experience with a strong track-record of success is preferred.
- A business-minded individual who has effectively managed a P&L will be at a strong advantage.
- Strong time management and communication skills are a critical for the successful candidate.
- Wine experience is not required, but some knowledge of the alcoholic beverage industry is a plus.
- Must be a hard-working and naturally inquisitive person who is not afraid to conduct tests or trials to make even small improvements and enhancements.
- Excellent presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Must operate with the highest level of integrity and transparency at all times.
- Long-term and strategic thinker interested in helping to build enduring luxury wine brands and business channels based on wine quality, consistency and product integrity.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and delegate tasks as appropriate.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels of an organization.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and some level of ambiguity.
- Ability to demonstrate discretion, good judgment, tactfulness and diplomacy.
Company Core Values
- Quality Focus
- Continuous Improvement
- Hard Work
- Drive for Results
- Operational and Product Excellence
- Ability to Embrace Lead Change & Continuous Improvement
- Proactive Communication
- Business Savvy
- Customer Service
- Industry Leadership