About the Company
Herb Pharm was established in March of 1979 in a pristine mountain valley in Williams, OR. From the beginning, their mission has been unwavering:
“We are committed to providing the highest quality herbal products possible, educating people on the safe and effective use of medicinal herbs and inspiring a love for plants and respect for nature.”
Back in the early days, Herb Pharm’s “lab” was the home of Ed Smith and Sara Katz, the company’s founders and owners. They wanted to establish themselves as the alternative to the rather poor-quality and limited array of medicinal herb products available. Ed and Sara spoke constantly and emphatically of the importance of using organic, high-quality herbs as opposed to the over-dried plant fiber that the few existing companies were using in their products.
About the Position
The Director of IT is responsible for providing leadership and management of the information technology function and for short-, mid- and long-term strategic planning, implementation and maintenance of technology and processes that support Herb Pharm’s business. This position will plan, coordinate, direct, and lead the design of IT related activities of Herb Pharm, as well as provide administrative direction and support for daily activities of the department. Support activities focused on ensuring system integrity and strategic business alignment.
Coordinate and manage resources within the IT department including recruiting and hiring qualified technical staff, training, performance reviews and communicating corporate policies and procedures. Direct others in defining and managing department application solutions delivery and sustainability initiatives.
Work closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of Herb Pharm. Will define and implement IT related policies procedures and best practices. Apply technology or business approaches in new ways and develop and recommend new alternatives.
Protect Herb Pharm’s resources by strict adherence to Herb Pharm security processes and policies. Enforce policies and consistently improve/update the Herb Pharm’s recovery plan. Establish standard procedures by which each business unit operates. Develop and administer training programs that can be administered both on-site and remotely.
- Develop and execute short-, mid- and long-term strategic technology and system plans that translate business requirements into projects, goals, objectives and deliverables with the business partners and end user experience in mind.
- Establish effective partnerships with functional leadership across Herb Pharm to ensure that technology solutions are effective and in alignment with functional and organizational needs.
- Participate, as a member of the business leadership team, in strategic planning activities by providing systemic and technologic solutions where business opportunities or challenges are identified.
- Evaluate effectiveness, efficiency and costs of existing technology and systems, research new or alternative solutions, and make recommendations to senior management as appropriate. Maintain working knowledge of new and evolving technologies and systems for possible application to development or future organization needs.
- Develop, implement and monitor information technology system policies and controls to ensure data security across a wide variety of frequently changing platforms, hardware, and user needs in compliance with evolving industry, legal and regulatory requirements. Responsible for recommending and implementing disaster recovery practices as appropriate.
- Lead, train, develop and coach a high-performance information technology staff; identifying appropriate staffing needs, skill sets, or alternative outsourcing.
- Develop and manage the annual information technology department budget; includes project planning, expense management, and external resource utilization.
- Prioritize, assign, and manage a portfolio of technology projects in support of business goals; ensure delivery of projects within time and cost limitations.
Required Skills & Education
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems or equivalent analytical and strategic management capabilities acquired through on-the-job experience and training.
- 7+ years of experience managing and directing a corporate Information Technology function in a manufacturing setting.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple ongoing projects and responsibilities to meet customer technology needs.
- Ability to deploy highly available, scalable and secure cloud infrastructure using industry best practices.
- Experience building and managing IT team.
- Ability to analyze business needs and recommend and implement appropriate solutions.
- Ability to develop and collect key performance indicators to measure performance.
- Experience managing a wide variety and scope of information technology projects that successfully achieve time, cost and operational expectations.