About the Company
Northwest Natural Holding Company, (NYSE: NWN) (NW Natural Holdings), is headquartered in Portland, Oregon, and owns a 160-year-old regulated natural gas local distribution company, NW Natural Gas Company (NW Natural), NW Natural Water Company, and other business interests and activities.
NW Natural currently provides natural gas service to approximately two million people in more than 140 communities through 740,000 meters in Oregon and Southwest Washington with one of the most modern pipeline systems in the nation. NW Natural consistently leads the industry with high J.D. Power & Associates customer satisfaction scores.
NW Natural Water currently provides water distribution service to approximately 22,000 people through 7,350 connections. To date, NW Natural Water has acquired four water distribution systems with one additional acquisition pending. Upon closing the transaction, cumulatively, NW Natural Water will serve nearly 42,000 people through 16,750 connections in the Pacific Northwest with total investments of approximately $67 million.
NW Natural is seeking a Business Development Segment Leader to help identify, evaluate and execute on a variety of potential business development opportunities. The Business Development Segment Leader will be a senior member of the Business Development team and will have direct responsibility in building relationships primarily with municipally owned water/wastewater utilities to advance NW Natural’s commitment to investing in this segment for the future.
This role will identify and develop new project and/or acquisition investment opportunities in the water and wastewater sectors with a principal focus on the western region.
Position Essential Functions
- Initiate and manage strategic relationships with key industry participants, including municipalities and investor-owned utilities
- Draft, negotiate and structure high-level proposals for water and wastewater projects, including acquisitions, development projects, joint ventures and/or public-private partnerships
- Collaborate across internal and external teams, including engineering, finance, legal and regulatory, among others, to develop successful water/wastewater proposals and investments
- Develop specific business plans, target lists and strategies for approaching the market
- Work with business development team members to conduct financial analysis on investment opportunities, including pro forma impacts on shareholders, customers and other key Company stakeholders
- Assess potential investment opportunities, including qualitative and quantitative benefits and risks
- Gather and interpret market data, research and industry intelligence
- Present business plans/strategies and selected investment opportunities to executives and board members for investment approval
- Minimum 8+ years of proven business development, sales or relationship management experience
- MBA or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Qualitative and quantitative analytical skills, including ability to analyze a wide variety of business opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to develop a concept into a successful business or program
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional groups within an organization
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct, analyze, evaluate, and form independent judgments
- Proven ability to build trusting and genuine relationships
- Operates with a sense of urgency, with a solutions-oriented and creative approach
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Understanding of utilities, water industry, public-private partnerships and/or related businesses preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Excellent organizational skills and a strong attention to detail
Ready to Apply?
Head on over to our Placements/Opportunities page to see what else we’ve been working on!