About the Organization
The history of flight training at Hillsboro Aero Academy is a story of hard work and a love for flying that led to one of the most respected flight schools and communities of pilots in the world. Hillsboro Aero Academy began as a one-helicopter flight school in 1980. The school grew as Hillsboro, Oregon thrived and airplane flight training was introduced early on.
Hillsboro Aero Academy has spent over 39 years refining our helicopter and airplane flight training programs to help students turn their dream of flying into a career. We’re one of the largest combined helicopter and airplane flight training schools in the U.S., with students from over 75 countries across the world. Graduates from our school work for aviation companies around the globe. The school offers a variety of training, including private, instrument, commercial, certified flight instructor, multi-engine and a number of specialty courses. Our fleet includes six (6) simulators and over one hundred (100) single and twin-engine aircrafts that log over 95,000 annual flight hours.
In November 2014, Renovus Capital Partners purchased a controlling interest of Hillsboro Aero Academy and is committed to growing the company through a number of strategic initiatives. Based on this, Hillsboro Aero Academy is looking for the right individual to lead the company’s Finance Function.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is an integral member of the senior management team. Reporting directly to the CEO, the CFO plays a key role in strategic planning and provides analysis and relevant decision support to other members of senior management. The CFO will partner with other areas of the company to make sound financial decisions by providing financial data, making recommendations, contributing in discussions and participating in decisions.
The CFO oversees the company’s timely and accurate financial reporting in accordance with GAAP and coordinates annual review and audit activities. This role serves to protect financial assets, manage expenses, and mitigate risk of loss by establishing and monitoring financial policies, procedures, necessary controls and reporting systems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop financial strategies by forecasting and monitoring cash flows, capital position, facilities, student and staff requirements and developing associated action plans.
- Identify, recommend, and develop specific short-term and long-term plans and programs, together with supporting budget and CAPEX requests and financial estimates.
- Coordinate development of annual budget according to deadlines; collect, analyze, and review budgetary schedules and financial data; recommend plans.
- Monitor financial performance with thorough analysis of financial reports and supporting schedules; prepare analysis of data for internal and external audiences.
- Monitor and analyze financial performance to plan and conduct comprehensive studies to improve the operation and financial effectiveness of the company.
- Conduct financial analysis, forecasting, analysis of the financial statements and to use this to make business recommendations to senior management.
- Initiate corrective actions and minimize the impact of negative variances.
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Responsible for timely and accurate tax reporting, compliance and payment at the state and federal levels.
- Manage external relationships that include external auditors, and banking.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field is required. CPA or MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 15+ years professional experience in accounting and/or finance functions, including 4+ years in a senior leadership position.
- Prior experience with a private equity-owned portfolio company or experience in leading a company through a successful exit is highly desirable.
- Strong communication skills; ability to communicate financial concepts to a broad audience of managers and executives.
- Experience autonomously addressing finance & accounting related concerns and questions of senior management.
- Ability to deliver board-level financial presentations that accurately summarize business for investors, bankers and vendors.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to provide accurate, and meaningful financial information and support with a small team.
Ready to Apply?
180one is a retained search firm and has been engaged by Hillsboro Aero Academy to manage this search. If interested in learning more about the opportunity, please contact Christine Kennedy at 180one.
Head on over to our Opportunities & Placements page to see what else we’ve been working on!