About the Company
Fortive is a new company with deep roots. Our portfolio is built with strong brands that are established leaders in the markets they serve. Our operating companies have long histories of solving customers’ critical needs. We originated from the $20B Danaher Corporation, bringing a committed leadership team and a powerful toolset for continuous improvement along, but our story is really just beginning.
Our successful separation from Danaher in July 2016 gave us a unique opportunity to focus on essential technology businesses driving exciting innovation in field instrumentation, transportation, sensing, product realization, automation and specialty, and franchise distribution. Our diverse teams around the globe are united by a shared culture and led by a uniquely qualified and experienced executive team.
Our customers and the technologies they depend on are moving faster than ever before. This rapid rate of change creates a world filled with exciting new opportunities, from precision sensors to the Internet of Things. We are more committed than ever to moving essential technologies forward.
At Fortive, we believe in growth. We take on big challenges; we are honest about what’s working and what isn’t, and we work hard to innovate and get better. With a passionate focus on our markets and our customers, we work together to make a genuine difference in the world. We know the only way to achieve these aspirations is though our people — great people equipped with proven tools and an environment that enables them to seize opportunities, imagine the next breakthrough, and create the next innovation.
2018 Key Statistics
Rev: ~$7.2B | Mkt Cap: ~24B | Ticker: FTV (NYSE) | Employees: ~26,000 | Audit Firm: EY
Reporting into the Chief Accounting Officer (CAO) of the company, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the CAO in directing many aspects of the organization’s accounting function, including those related to Fortive’s significant portfolio transformation through M&A and a shift from 20% to 35%+ recurring revenue, financial statement review for internal and external reporting purposes, and talent development.
A key contribution you will make is around identifying opportunities for process improvement and automation within the Fortive finance and accounting processes with the aim of reducing cycle time. These opportunities exist at Corporate and may apply throughout the company’s portfolio of business units.
You will be responsible for improving the M&A integration and diligence processes, the integrity of our financial reports both internal and external, and designing and implementing plans to achieve finance and compliance objectives. You will be accountable for mitigating and closing out issues and managing the impact on forecasted and actual results, including risk mitigation.
You will serve as a key technical accounting resource on complex accounting transactions, including acquisition accounting, goodwill and intangible asset impairment testing, segment analyses, treasury-related transactions, and other annual and ad hoc technical evaluations such as new standards. You will also assist in performing quality checks on our filings with the SEC.
- Design and implement process improvements in the corporate close process. Make use of emerging solutions for process automation.
- Understand and contribute to the execution of Fortive’s strategic objectives.
- Learn and embrace Fortive’s Core Values and Fortive Business System (FBS).
- Stay current on accounting, auditing and regulatory matters and changes in technology and related subjects.
Our successful candidate will be a seasoned professional with excellent knowledge of accounting and finance processes, US GAAP and SEC/Public company reporting requirements. Experience working through complex M&A and treasury transactions is also required. Demonstrated strategic organizational capabilities and talent development and demonstrated success in transforming and improving finance processes. Further, our candidate will be an excellent communicator, intellectually curious and have a strong work ethic. Our candidate will be an independent thinker and self-starter with the bandwidth to manage competing priorities and work on several key projects at a given time. Our candidate will have the ability to participate in spirited give-and-take discussions about their work and be a team player who understands how to get the job done. It is important that our candidate have strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work with people at multiple levels throughout our organization, including cross functional and business leaders across Fortive and our Operating companies. To be a good fit for this opportunity, you will also have/be:
- Bachelors Degree in Finance or Accounting, CPA designation is required.
- Minimum 15+ years of relevant experience, industry experience is required.
- Demonstrated process improvement skills.
- Solid technical background in US GAAP, SOX, and ability to research, understand and communicate complex technical issues in an effective manner. SEC reporting experience is also preferred.
- Ability to simplify the complex to drive action at the businesses.
- Experience and understanding of the capabilities and limitations of ERP systems and reporting software such as Hyperion. Ability to think strategically about the best use of automation tools.
- Operate in a way that never compromises ethics and integrity.
- Be comfortable working in a high-energy, quickly changing and dynamic environment.
- Detail-oriented with the objective of consistently delivering high quality work products, while being able to step back to see the big picture.
- Strong global business perspective with understanding of a multinational organization with multiple business units.
- Customer focused.
- Have strong quantitative and analytical skills as well as excellent written, and verbal presentation skills.