Terra Dynamics (“TDI”) is a leading light civil / landscape construction contractor that has served Washington State’s public and private sector for more than 35 years. With a strong track record in public works, a commitment to quality, performance and safety—TDI is considered one of the finest contractors in the industry. TDI leads the industry in innovation, application, technology and performance.
TDI has been owned by HKZ Capital since 2018 and is working on a leadership transition with TDI’s current CEO and Founder. HKZ Capital has been successfully investing in small-market companies for over 20 years. HKZ Capital has a vision for continuing TDI’s growth and reputation and is looking forward to continuing the legacy of being the preeminent landscape construction contractor in the State of Washington.
TDI specializes in Design-Build Construction with government and municipal agencies such as WSDOT, Sound Transit, Puget Sound municipalities and school districts. TDI is proud to have been listed by each RFP team on prior Design Build contracts as their landscape partner of choice. TDI’s project portfolio consists of:
- Athletic Field and Park Construction
- Landscape and irrigation for City/County/Federal schools
- Landscape and irrigation for Highway Infrastructure
- Erosion Control
- Wetland Mitigation
The scope of projects that TDI provides services for are normally part of the final phase of large multiyear construction projects. These projects are awarded years in advance of TDI’s participation; thus, locking in future profitability providing TDI with valuable time to respond to changes occurring in the broader economy. TDI currently has a strong backlog that will provide predictable income for the next 18-36 months.
Positive industry trends for TDI include:
- The Washington State legislature passed a major transportation and infrastructure package of $16 billion over the next 15 years. At its peak, projects around the state will be spending an average of $1.6 billion per year between 2019 and 2025.
- In 2016, King, Snohomish and Pierce County voters passed a $54 billion dollar, 20+ year public transportation levy to construct another 58 miles of light rail expansion. This will add $2+ billion dollars per year of public construction monies into the Puget Sound economy.
In many cases, TDI is the only bidding contractor who meets the state and federal contracting procedure requirements, and the strict pre-qualifications necessary to bid on athletic field work.
Why Terra Dynamics
- TDI enjoys the financial benefits of being the largest light civil contractor in the state of Washington.
- In many situations TDI is the only contractor of sufficient size and experience to meet the contracting requirements.
- TDI has a strong brand, impeccable reputation and is highly respected by its institutional and private sector clients.
Reporting in the Board of Directors, the CEO will lead an organization that has experienced long-term success and sustainable growth. The CEO shall possess the leadership skills to build upon the organization’s record of quality, expansion and excellence to drive continued success. The CEO serves as the face of TDI and builds and maintains relationships in order to advance and support the organization’s mission, programs and services.
CEO Candidate will need to be skilled in the following areas:
Leadership Skills: Through leadership, create a unified organization. Ability to develop, communicate, and implement sustainable short-term and long-term vision for TDI.
People Leadership: Develops a strong leadership team to maximize operations and future growth while maintaining a culture of shared responsibility and stewardship among TDI and the Board. Ensures a work environment that recruits, retains and supports quality staff, and that the appropriate processes are in place for recruiting, selecting, developing, motivating and evaluating staff.
Strategic Planning: A balance of long-term strategic thinking and short-term tactical thinking to drive goals aligned with TDI goals of consistent and sustainable growth, with a heavy focus on profitability.
Operational: Understands the need to create a strong infrastructure with repeatable and consistent processes that support the current organization and future growth for delivering a consistent, quality experience for both clients and employees. Leverages technologies and processes to be less labor intensive for both execution of projects and tracking their respective performance that results in greater efficiencies for the team.
Financial and Business Acumen: General business interest that includes creating a financial vision, strong overall financial acumen including understanding of the balance sheet, and skilled at contracts review and negotiation. Understands how to align the resource needs of the company (cash, equipment, people) to attain business goals & initiatives. Practices good financial stewardship of the company’s resources. Knowledgeable about standard business practices (planning, metrics, P&L management), and a track record of building efficient organizations with low waste and success at profitable execution.
External Relations: Maintains and builds relationships with key personnel in state and local governments, general contractors, architects, sub-contractors, suppliers, bonding and insurance companies, and other support organizations. Comfortable and skilled at being the face and voice of TDI in the market.
- Bachelors degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering or related field.
- 10+ years of senior leadership experience in commercial construction management overseeing multiple multimillion-dollar projects. Heavy, Civil, or Landscape Construction is preferred
- Construction experience working with Federal, State and Local government contracts
Demonstrated proficiency and expertise in the following areas:
- Construction management
- Budget development and control
- Persuasive presentations
- Bid process and estimating
- Contract review and negotiating
- Field personnel management
- Recruiting and development
- Preconstruction costing
Interest in leaning more?
Head on over to our Opportunities & Placements page to see what else we’ve been working on!