About the Company
Northwest Natural Holding Company, (NYSE: NWN) (NW Natural Holdings), is headquartered in Portland, Oregon, and owns a 160-year-old regulated natural gas local distribution company, NW Natural Gas Company (NW Natural), NW Natural Water Company, LLC (NW Natural Water), and other business interests and activities.
NW Natural currently provides natural gas service to approximately two million people in more than 140 communities through 740,000 meters in Oregon and Southwest Washington with one of the most modern pipeline systems in the nation. NW Natural consistently leads the industry with high J.D. Power & Associates customer satisfaction scores.
NW Natural Water has made nine water and wastewater utility acquisitions over the past two years. NW Natural Water has invested $70 million to date and serves nearly 47,000 people through approximately 18,300 connections in the Pacific Northwest. Going forward, NW Natural Water anticipates substantial future growth through acquisitions across the western U.S.
NW Natural is seeking a Managing Director of Business Development to help identify, evaluate and execute on a variety of potential business development opportunities. The Managing Director of Business Development will be the senior leader of the Business Development team and will identify and develop new project and/or acquisition investment opportunities primarily in the water and wastewater sectors with a principal focus on the western U.S. The Managing Director of Business Development will also have direct responsibility for business development opportunities beyond the water segment, including related to Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), midstream/storage assets, corporate and asset-level mergers and acquisitions (M&A), district energy, Combined Heat and Power (CHP), distributed generation and/or other potential business segments.
Position Essential Functions
- Assess potential business opportunities, including qualitative and quantitative benefits and risks
- Draft, negotiate and structure high-level proposals for various business segments, with emphasis on water and wastewater projects, including acquisitions, development projects, joint ventures and/or public-private partnerships
- Lead business development team members to conduct financial analysis on investment opportunities, including pro forma impacts on shareholders, customers and other key Company stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with key counterparts across the Company, including legal, regulatory, legislative, operations, marketing, and other internal groups to execute on business development strategies
- Oversee the creation of detailed financial models to evaluate potential business segment scenarios, structures, pricing models and other key factors
- Gather and interpret market data and research
- Develop relationships with industry counterparts, gather industry intelligence, and analyze peer programs
- Perform due diligence and related evaluative analysis
- Identify potential external opportunities, initiate outreach and negotiate with transaction counter-parties, as applicable
- Present business plans and proposed strategies to selected executives and board members for approval
- Minimum 8+ years of proven business development experience
- MBA or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Understanding of regulated utilities, energy industry and/or related businesses preferred
- Experience in mergers/acquisitions, transaction structuring or related skills
- Qualitative and quantitative analytical skills, including ability to analyze a wide variety of business opportunities related to the energy industry
- Understanding of valuation analysis and advanced financial modeling using Excel
- Understanding of strategic planning, corporate finance, statistics and economics
- Experience drafting business plans and developing corporate strategies
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional groups within an organization
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct, analyze, evaluate, and form independent judgments
- Proven ability to build trusting and genuine relationships
- Operates with a sense of urgency, with a solutions-oriented and creative approach
- Strong ability and proven track record of building and managing high-performing teams
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Excellent organizational skills and a strong attention to detail
Interested in Learning More?
Head on over to our Placements/Opportunities page to see what else we’ve been working on!