About the Company:
SawStop is a technology-differentiated company that has become the world leader in premium table saws and accessories. SawStop’s saws are equipped Active Injury Mitigation (AIM), a technology the company pioneered. AIM detects contact between the user and the blade and deploys a brake to stop the blade in less than 5 milliseconds, avoiding serious injury.
SawStop’s AIM technology was invented by Steve Gass, a lifelong woodworker with a Ph.D. in physics. Dr. Gass, along with three colleagues, founded SawStop in 2000 to commercialize the technology. Working from Dr. Gass’ barn/shop, the founders created a new table saw incorporating AIM technology as well as many other improvements. That saw was an immediate success when released in late 2004 and the company has since essentially taken over the industrial table saw market. SawStop now has over 120,000 saws in the field and has documentation of over 5,000 fingers saved by SawStop saws.
SawStop was founded by patent attorneys with backgrounds in science and engineering. The company has received over 100 US and foreign patents to date and continues to file and enforce new patents on the inventions created through its ongoing R&D. SawStop focuses on premium quality woodworking products with an emphasis on safety. The company is uniquely positioned to grow, redoubling its focus on product innovation and industry leading quality.
In July 2017, a family-owned German power tool company, TTS Tooltechnic Systems, purchased SawStop. TTS was founded in 1925 and is respected around the world for their innovation, quality, and gold-standard market position. TTS (and their largest company, Festool) has a long and proven record of precision high-tech products. SawStop and Festool each focus on premier products in their respective markets and have minimal product overlap.
SawStop’s history has taken it from humble beginnings to North American dominance. SawStop has achieved this success quickly by creating market differentiation through better design and safer technology. By joining TTS, SawStop now has the ability to significantly expand market reach and product scope going forward.
As a vital member of the SawStop leadership team, the Director of Marketing will provide the management and vision necessary to lead marketing efforts for the company and will report to the Executive VP of Sales and Marketing.
The mission of the Director of Marketing is to lead the SawStop Marketing department as they aggressively execute the revenue growth strategies while enriching the company’s position as the undisputed leader of safer high-end, high-performance and high-innovation woodworking tools and accessories.
- Oversee strategic planning, operations, and personnel.
- Drive growth.
- Develop the annual marketing plans for each product type and customer vertical.
- Prepare and manage to annual budget.
- Drive and manage market research efforts. Provide opportunity analysis and recommendations.
- Collaborate with SawStop channel partners to drive conversions in-store, on-site, and online.
- Direct the development of dealer sales training.
- Manage and drive North American tradeshow/event campaigns.
- Work with VP of Sales to set corporate pricing strategy and sales forecasts.
- Analyze financial results and develop promotions and category changes to meet/exceed established goals.
- Execute large-scale integrated marketing (and co-marketing) campaigns for US and CAN operations.
- Oversee campaigns and managing sales enablement, contract design professionals, agencies, vendors.
- Travel to visit tradeshows, dealer partners, markets and customers.
- Direct integrated Digital Marketing campaigns (SMM, SEO/SEM, MA SE).
- Evaluate effectiveness of marketing programs through metric analysis.
- Maintain high marketing team performance levels through ongoing mentoring and coaching.
The Director of Marketing will interface with everyone in the company, but most importantly with the SawStop’s Executive VP of Sales & Marketing, fellow members of the leadership team, and members of the marketing and sales teams. In addition, the Director of Marketing will work closely with channel partners and external agencies.
- 4+ years of marketing leadership experience.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience in marketing or related field.
- Experience driving digital marketing strategy (SMM, SEO/SEM, MA SE).
- Strong experience working with Industrial, Retail and Online channels.
- Lead Generation, Email Marketing, Marketing Automation tool familiarity.
- Brand Management, Media Relations.
- Budgeting, Financial Management, Strategic Planning.
- Campaign Planning & Best Practices, Creative Design, Art Directing, Event Marketing.
- Product launches, Go-To-Market Strategies.
- Marketing Research analysis.
- Negotiation, People Management, Project Management.
- Demonstrated customer-focus.
- Strong Leadership skills. Experiencing coaching and managing a team.
- Player-coach capabilities, with hands-on experience in common media creation software.
- A proven track record of analytical and creative problem-solving.
Interested in Learning More?
Head on over to our Placements/Opportunities page to see what else we’ve been working on!