About the Company
Fortive is a new company with deep roots. Our portfolio is built with strong brands that are established leaders in the markets they serve. Our operating companies have long histories of solving customers’ critical needs. We originated from the $20B Danaher Corporation, bringing a committed leadership team and a powerful toolset for continuous improvement along, but our story is really just beginning.
Our successful separation from Danaher in July 2016 gave us a unique opportunity to focus on essential technology businesses driving exciting innovation in field instrumentation, transportation, sensing, product realization, automation and specialty, and franchise distribution. Our diverse teams around the globe are united by a shared culture and led by a uniquely qualified and experienced executive team.
Our customers and the technologies they depend on are moving faster than ever before. This rapid rate of change creates a world filled with exciting new opportunities, from precision sensors to the Internet of Things. We are more committed than ever to moving essential technologies forward.
At Fortive, we believe in growth. We take on big challenges; we are honest about what’s working and what isn’t, and we work hard to innovate and get better. With a passionate focus on our markets and our customers, we work together to make a genuine difference in the world. We know the only way to achieve these aspirations is though our people — great people equipped with proven tools and an environment that enables them to seize opportunities, imagine the next breakthrough, and create the next innovation.
2018 Key Statistics
Rev: ~$7.2B | Mkt Cap: ~24B | Ticker: FTV (NYSE) | Employees: ~26,000 | Audit Firm: EY
As a large global business with over 25,000 employees across the world, we understand the impact our operations can have on our employees, communities and the planet. We are committed to conducting business in a socially responsible manner. In 2018 we began publishing our annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report in which we detail many of the things that we do and products we produce to make the world a better place. We believe sustainability broadly defined should be an important part of our CSR efforts.
We are looking for a Director of Sustainability who has experience in designing and leading corporate environmental sustainability efforts and who can also act as a key participant in our overall CSR strategies and efforts.
In this role you will lead the development and execution of a broad-based, company-wide strategic sustainability initiative and collaborate with other leaders of CSR efforts across Fortive to embed sustainability into Fortive’s CSR culture.
Take a look at our 2019 CSR Report here.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Building on our existing initiatives, lead the effort to create a sustainability vision for Fortive that reflects our Shared Purpose and Values. Lead the development of a high-level strategy to support that vision.
- Assess the organization’s current sustainability performance and identify and prioritize key sustainability issues for our operating companies. Collaborate with our operating companies and functions to develop a coordinated sustainability plan.
- Lead our efforts, in collaboration with OpCos and functions, on public sustainability disclosures including the annual CSR Report, CDP and other disclosures. Provide advice and guidance on participation in sustainability-related initiatives globally.
- Design and implement process for operating companies to receive corporate assistance in sustainability projects that help Fortive achieve its stated carbon emissions reduction goal.
- Assist in approving project proposals, considering factors such as cost effectiveness, technical feasibility, and integration with other initiatives.
- Serve as a member of Fortive’s EHS Leadership Council as the internal leader and “go to” expert for sustainability, monitoring emerging trends, programs and issues, and communicating and educating others on sustainability topics.
- Serve as a member of Fortive’s CSR Steering Committee to help guide CSR strategies and efforts across the organization.
- Serve as the central point of contact for interfaces with stakeholders on the topic of sustainability and corporate social responsibility, including investors, employees, customers and others.
- Foster a culture of sustainability through ongoing organizational communications and education.
- Create and implement communication strategies to publicize the company’s sustainability efforts and promote broad awareness of sustainability initiatives, both internally and externally.
- Offer expertise and provide leadership-level support for initiatives to reduce company-wide resource consumption and waste generation.
- Build effective partnerships with external organizations to support sustainability efforts.
- Conduct sustainability-related risk assessments.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent communication skills: written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- PC skills to include Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint).
- Exhibits sound judgment and professionalism in all aspects of the position.
- Able to differentiate between conflicting priorities and issues to identify underlying causes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and assess priorities effectively.
Interaction with Others
- Works closely with company executives, managing directors, plant managers, facility directors Sales and Marketing personnel, engineering and EHS personnel as well as customers.
- Consistently exhibits company values in all interactions with associates and customers.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- 5+ years’ experience, either through outside consulting, internal corporate positions or a combination, in designing, implementing and promoting corporate sustainability programs.
Ready to Apply?
Head on over to our Opportunities & Placements page to see what else we’ve been working on!