In business for over 70 years, Commerce Properties owns and manages some of Portland’s finest apartment properties including Vista St. Clair, Oriel, Celio, and Summer Creek. They also own two retail centers, Apple Way Corner and Apple Way Market.
Commerce Properties is a value-based organization that lives by 4 values: Integrity, Do It Right, Service, and Economic Stewardship. These values guide how they treat people and determine how they make decisions, interact with others, and plan for the future.
Commerce is strategically committed to expansion via development and acquisition of properties in the Portland metro area. Their strong balance sheet means they are well-positioned for future growth.
In order to continue their mission to provide apartment residents and retail lessees with quality space and superior customer service, Commerce Properties is looking to add a Director of Operations to their management team.
The Director of Operations leads and manages the Company’s property management operations in alignment with Commerce’s Values. This job description reflects the principal functions, knowledge and skills required. The Director of Operations must perform all tasks that management determines are essential to the operation of the company and appropriate for this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in alignment with Commerce’s Values-based culture.
- Set and communicate vision for department in coordination with company vision.
- Create and systematize Commerce Property standard operating procedures.
- Provide clear direction.
- Hire, train, develop, and appraise staff effectively.
- Determine and prioritize needs of department.
- Set clear expectations and priorities.
- Communicate effectively with customers, vendors, co-workers and President.
- Get high priority tasks done.
- Promote company values.
- Assure compliance with Fair Housing laws and Oregon Landlord-Tenant laws.
- Administer and improve Company’s property management systems.
- Manage staff and properties in accordance with Commerce policies and procedures.
- Coach Community Managers in how to lead and manage.
- Assure effective leasing.
- Uphold maintenance standards.
- Assist in cultivating good relations with residents and retail tenants.
- Administer Human Resources, including compensation, hiring, recognition, discipline and any other HR tasks.
- Examine accounts and records for accuracy and compliance with policy.
- Plan and execute both short-term and long-term projects.
- Evaluate property financial performance.
- Coordinate creation of annual budgets.
- Manage operations at retail centers.
- Maintain confidentiality. Information regarding Commerce is highly personal and confidential. Any breach of confidentiality is grounds for immediate termination.
- Other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises four employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s values, policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; developing employees’ productive capacity; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; working with Community Managers to addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university. Experience leading and managing company operations.
READY TO APPLY?
Head on over to our Placements/Opportunities page to see what else we’ve been working on!