About the Company
Instrument is a digital brand and experience innovation company headquartered in Portland, Oregon with an additional office in New York City. Our teams push the boundaries of design, technology and innovation for some of the world’s leading brands such as Google, Pinterest, Sonos, and Nike. We are a collaborative partner to businesses seeking transformation and growth. From strategic frameworks to targeted communications to design systems, we create powerful tools that propel brands forward and build influence. We concept, design, and deliver best-in-class products and services. Beyond websites and applications, we make interactive environments and deliver innovative user experiences.
Check out some our work here.
About the Role
Our Finance team is seeking to add an experienced Director of Finance to join our team in Portland, OR. This position will report directly to the CFO and will play a critical role in our growth plans at a key inflection point at the company. The Director of Finance will be responsible for ensuring that our financial reporting is accurate and timely, and that company leadership has access to reliable data necessary to effectively manage the organization. Additionally, the Director of Finance will evaluate, enhance, and manage all finance-related budgets, forecasts and processes. This role will be a partner to the CFO in ensuring that Instrument’s financial performance is aligned with the strategic plan and the finance organization functions efficiently and with a high degree of service to the organization.
- Manage, lead, and develop a team of direct reports responsible for all accounting and finance functions including AP, AR, Payroll, and Financial Planning & Analysis processes.
- Validate revenue recognition and other reporting conventions to ensure that financial results are prepared in compliance with GAAP (ASC 606).
- Participate in business and financial planning, including assisting CFO with annual budgets, revenue forecasts, and projections.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and preparation and filing of all state and local taxes. Prepares schedules and documentation necessary for annual income tax preparation for our parent company.
- Prepare monthly financial statements in compliance with tight public reporting deadlines, while working with both internal and external stakeholders. Research variances and clearly communicate the root cause of deviations to the plan.
- Prepare periodic reporting to company managers, and other company stakeholders.
- Generate cash flow forecasts for our parent company and work with managers to make necessary changes to improve TWCAP.
- Recommend and implement improvements to all operational finance processes.
- Safeguard the company; review, develop and manage internal controls designed to comply with SOX requirements and prevent and detect theft and misuse of funds.
- Work closely with the CFO and manage a close working relationship with our parent company.
- Provide timely, accurate, and clear financial information as necessary.
- Monitor, maintain, and update the company’s ERP and other financial tools and systems.
- Identify, drive, and engage in ad-hoc initiatives designed to improve the profitability of the company.
- Support and take responsibility for all internal and external audits and/or reviews. Build productive relationships with auditors and parent company.
Skills & Qualifications
- Ideal candidate will have 7+ years of progressive experience in accounting, financial analysis, budgeting, and forecasting.
- CPA preferred along with a mix of public and private accounting.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a related field required; Masters/MBA preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of G/L, financial statement, consolidations, and budgeting process.
- Ability to design and implement financial policies, processes, and controls.
- Preferred experience working with rapidly growing professional services firms.
- Proven experience managing, coaching, and mentoring a team of direct reports.
- Confidence preparing, summarizing, and effectively communicating financial information to a broad audience.
- Experience managing process/systems change projects desired.
- Experience working in and maintaining an ERP solution.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Must be flexible, with the ability to drive and adapt to change.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary with annual compensation reviews.
- Full benefits including medical, dental and vision.
- 401K matching with immediate vesting.
- Generous paid holidays and vacation.
- Regular check-ins and an “Always On” approach to feedback and goal setting.
- Annual individual professional development budget.
- A positive, balanced work life.
Ready to Apply?
Head on over to our Placements/Opportunities page to see what else we’ve been working on!