About the Company
After 50 years in business, our roots run deep in the Pacific Northwest communities that we serve. Our success has been built on an unwavering dedication to a mission, core values, and standards of healthcare that put the people of those communities first.
Willamette Dental Group was originally established by Dr. Eugene Skourtes and Dr. Gerald Cogan in 1970, out of a single treatment office on Jefferson Street in Portland, Oregon. Early on, the partners began to foster a new approach to dental care that focused on preventive care and long-term oral health, instead of the traditional fee-for-service model. From this approach, the company became the Pacific Northwest’s first provider of coordinated dental care.
Today, we have become the largest multi-specialty group dental practice in the Pacific Northwest, with more than 50 office locations in Oregon, Idaho, and Washington. Willamette Dental Group is a family of companies that provides a combination of dental care services, dental insurance, and business management and administrative services in OR, WA and ID.
About the Position
The Director of Operations (DO) provides effective and inspiring leadership, management, talent development and vision for assigned offices. This will ensure that the assigned offices in the region being overseen have the proper operational programs and controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization. Ensures that all program activities in areas supervised operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of the organization.
Essential Position Functions
- Partner with Directors of Clinical Operations (DCO), Managing Dentists (MD),
- Practice Managers (PM), and office Leads to build and solidify relationships between MD and PM to ensure clinical and operational excellence, efficient and effective management, and talent development.
- Act as a tactical leader in the oversight and execution of strategic plans developed by Senior Management.
- Translate strategic priorities into operational reality by aligning communication, accountabilities, internal processes, and ongoing measurement systems to ensure that strategic priorities yield measurable and sustainable results.
- Partner with the other DOs to share best practices and review progress on Companywide objectives.
- Partner with PM and MD to provide day to day leadership and management of both business and clinical operations that mirror the mission and core values of the organization.
- Execute strategies for improving overall performance of offices and company operations.
- Meet regularly with Operations Leadership to review progress on objectives relevant to offices in the assigned region.
- Partner with PM, MD, and Leads to ensure the execution of health and safety directives in accordance to state law.
- Consult with DCOs, MDs, and management teams in areas of mutual concern regarding operations of dental offices. Assures that assigned duties are carried out within appropriate timelines.
- Understand the needs and motivations of clinical professionals and establish culture that represents an attractive work environment where such professionals are dedicated to efficient and effective delivery of our services to patients.
- Manage mid-level site or regional personnel issues in collaboration with Human Resources Department.
- Oversee site- or region-specific facility maintenance issues and remodel projects in cooperation with Operations and Facilities Departments.
- Partner with the Operations Leadership, Learning & Development, and other Administrative Departments as needed to provide coaching, facilitation and training on the development of clinical and operational management teams.
- Conduct periodic meetings with Practice Managers, Managing Dentists, and Directors of Clinical Operations to relay company expectations and to allow feedback.
- Perform all necessary talent management activities in collaboration with Operations Leadership, Human Resources, DCOs, PMs and MDs to ensure top talent is retained and developed.
- Identify top talent and provide engagement and support to help them reach their long term professional goals.
- Review and analyze operational and clinical data to assess efficiencies, profitability, and performance to measure progress towards attaining goals, support mentorship, develop site specific strategic plans and specific office objectives.
- Develop short- and long-term goals/objectives that support region specific strategic plan and approaches to accomplish them.
- Serve a primary role in the development of annual budget in collaboration with PMs and MDs.
- Oversee financial operations in area of responsibility, collaborate with Finance Executives, and is accountable for development and outcome of individual office budgets to ensure cost control and profitability.
- Coach management teams in business management concepts, problem resolution, and all competencies, skills and knowledge required to be a successful leader.
- Co-lead with (DOs) and DCOs in the design and delivery of innovative, region wide leadership development solutions.
- The ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings and weekends as needed; travel weekly up to 50% percent of time.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Financial acumen and can interpret and apply understanding of key financial indicators to make sound business decisions.
- Dental office business acumen.
- Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook, Word and Excel and how to integrate technology into corporate professional development programs.
- HIPAA, OSHA and EEO laws and guidelines surrounding selection.
- AxiUm, Kronos, and Tableau.
- Organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to establish rapport and maintain successful relationships with all levels within an organization.
- Excellent verbal and written skills and can present to large audience competently.
- Developing rapport and trust with individuals.
- Analyze data and develop reporting tools to support clinic management teams.
- Work cooperatively in a team environment and create a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the company achieve its objectives.
- Relate with others in a respectful, constructive manner and develop employees to help meet their career and the organization’s goals.
- Represent the company in a professional manner to patients and support and demonstrate the Company’s vision and mission to both employees and patients.
- Work a defined work schedule, travel extensively and occasional weekends as necessary.
- Receive constructive feedback and make changes accordingly.
- Analyze time and manage tasks.
- Understand performance trending and data analysis with leadership assessments and organizational surveys.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Health Care Management or a similar field required and 5 years or more of management experience in a clinical or related setting, Master’s degree is highly preferred. Current Washington, Oregon or Idaho driver’s license and proof of automobile liability insurance coverage.
Interested in Learning More?
Head on over to our Placements/Opportunities page to see what else we’ve been working on!