About the Company
Learning.com is a national leader in providing digital literacy solutions that help prepare students for online assessments, school, college and their future careers. The company offers a complete digital literacy curriculum for grades K-8 that engages students as they develop critical skills such as keyboarding, business applications, online safety, computational thinking and coding. Founded in 1999, Learning.com currently partners with one in six U.S. school districts and serves more than 4 million students each year. The company has earned more than 30 industry awards, including ISTE 2017 Best of Show, 2017 Award of Excellence from “Tech & Learning Magazine”, “The Oregonian’s Top Workplace” for 2018, 2017, 2016 and “Healthiest Workplaces” for 2019.
About the Position
The CFO is a key leadership position on the senior executive team who helps drive the financial and operational growth of the business. Responsible for all financial and fiscal management aspects of company operations including preparation of current financial reports as well as summaries and forecasts for future business growth and general economic outlook. The CFO provides leadership and coordination in the administrative, business planning, accounting and budgeting efforts of the company.
- Direct and coordinate the organization’s financial and budget activities in order to produce accurate and timely financial statements according to GAAP and to predict cash flows, maximize profits and increase efficiency.
- Negotiate and approve contracts and agreements with suppliers, distributors, federal and state agencies, and other organizational entities.
- Formulate and implement financial policies and processes in compliance with accepted accounting practices and applicable statutes, regulations, and company policy.
- Independently and working with management, identify critical strategic issues.
- Identify opportunities for change across the business, leverage knowledge, and implement improvements.
- Ensure the business is compliant with corporate financial policy and GAAP, including revenue recognition criteria.
- Function as the primary contact between attorneys, bankers, debtors, and creditors regarding company business.
- Assist in product pricing decision analysis and pricing exceptions building appropriate pricing models as required.
- Oversee the activities of the Accounting Department for the accurate and timely dissemination of:
- Financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements in compliance with GAAP, annual audited financial statements and annual budgets.
- Accounts payable, purchase orders, petty cash, employee expense reporting, cash control and accounts receivable.
- Order fulfillment policies and processes.
- Payroll and payroll tax compliance, quarter and year-end payroll closing including federal and state reports and reconciliation of wages to tax reports.
- Federal and state income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls which verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data.
- Project company’s cash requirements for 6-12 month timeframe.
- Develop and train a quality team. Select clear goals and objectives, monitor performance, provide frequent high-quality feedback, and support growth and development goals for the staff.
- Respond to CEO as assigned with accurate and timely work.
- Empowers team members to achieve their best through collaboration.
- Fosters individual career development and high morale.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure employee success through coaching, counseling, and professional development.
- Anticipate staffing needs, recruit new team members, manage performance, and collaborate with HR to create professional development plans and develop succession plans.
- Must have a minimum 8-10 years relevant experience, including direct experience with software and services revenue recognition issues. CPA preferred.
- Proven background in management, communication skills, broad operating expertise and demonstrates superior strategic thinking capabilities.
- Exceptional leadership skills that can interact well with all levels of management.
- Experience managing banking and investor relationships.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Working knowledge of integrated financial and accounting reporting systems and CRM systems. NetSuite experience desirable.
- Knowledge of contracts, negotiating and change management.
- Demonstrated track record of success in managing teams delivering results.
Interested in Learning More?
Head on over to our Placements/Opportunities page to see what else we’ve been working on!