About the Company
After 50 years in business, our roots run deep in the Pacific Northwest communities that we serve. Our success has been built on an unwavering dedication to a mission, core values, and standards of healthcare that put the people of those communities first.
Willamette Dental Group was originally established by Dr. Eugene Skourtes and Dr. Gerald Cogan in 1970, out of a single treatment office on Jefferson Street in Portland, Oregon. Early on, the partners began to foster a new approach to dental care that focused on preventive care and long-term oral health, instead of the traditional fee-for-service model. From this approach, the company became the Pacific Northwest’s first provider of coordinated dental care.
Today, we have become the largest multi-specialty group dental practice in the Pacific Northwest, with more than 50 office locations in Oregon, Idaho, and Washington. Willamette Dental Group is a family of companies that provides a combination of dental care services, dental insurance, and business management and administrative services in OR, WA and ID.
About the Position
The Director of Facilities will be responsible for new construction, overall building and facility operations, equipment needs, building maintenance services and leasing operations. The Director must be familiar with State and Federal requirements as well as standards applicable to the healthcare facilities industry for organizations such as the American Institute of Architects, Americans with Disabilities Act, Environmental Protection Agency, National Fire Protection Association, Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Director will also plan and set project objectives, goals, and deadlines; and develops schedules for obtaining them.
Essential Position Functions
- Oversee and direct a team that manages maintenance personnel, laborers, custodians and outside contractors engaged in equipment or systems installation, facilities and clinical equipment repair, preventive maintenance, painting, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, grounds maintenance, transportation functions, and other projects.
- Utilize technology and solutions such as EMaint, project management software and asset and warehouse management solutions.
- Understand and be able to assimilate into existing company culture that includes being a single owner, privately held organization. Must be able to act in a culturally competent manner at all levels in the organization and be able to balance company needs with the needs of the ownership of the company.
- Provide oversight for maintenance of equipment such as HVAC, refrigeration, electricity, plumbing and elevators is required along with knowledge of grounds keeping.
- Assist with design or renovation of the building by soliciting and evaluating contractor bids, consulting with architects, engineers and other contractors.
- Monitor the timely addressment and completion of work orders and preventative maintenance for designated plant operations equipment.
- Administer project activities through the assignment of qualified key personnel by establishing and maintaining project budget, equipment, material supplies and other necessary services and by obtaining and furnishing personnel with basic job information.
- Ensure the highest state of compliance for all standards related to the environment of care governed by CMS, TDH, OSHA and other regulatory bodies.
- Inspect buildings and physical plant; conduct building space studies; inspect construction, projects, and contractor installations progress for conformance to standards and specifications.
- Manage tenant relations and monitor requests for repairs and maintenance, communication of tenant charges, lease issues, and any other tenant questions/concerns and maintain documentation of all property projects and activities.
- Engage, supervise, and approve payment for services required to maintain and improve real estate in accordance with company standards.
- Administer leases for assigned portfolio by reviewing and analyzing new lease agreements, tenant billings, lease clauses, vacancy reports, and tenant compliance issues. Create lease summaries.
- Manage a team of construction and facilities staff, convey clear performance expectations, and delegate work in a way that empowers ownership.
- Measure progress towards obtaining department goals and develop action plans in collaboration with management teams to achieve the goals.
- Direct and oversee property purchase, development, and management for all new building construction.
- Manage relationships with external entities such as investment brokers, tenants, city officials, etc.
- Travel throughout the service area to ensure projects are progressing.
- Ability to establish and discuss floor plans.
- Supervise and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- General computer/software knowledge and willingness to learn new software programs.
- Budget development and strategic planning.
- Construction and project management methodologies.
- Building standards for appropriate regulatory bodies such as American Institute of Architects,
- Americans with Disabilities Act, Environmental Protection Agency, National Fire Protection
- Association, Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Quantitative and data analysis skills.
- Project and time management.
- Property and leasing management and negotiations.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to multi-task and effectively execute in a fast-paced work environment.
- Continuous improvement minded.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Establishing and meeting milestones and timelines.
- Utilize systems and technology to assist in process and functional management.
- Operate in a fast-paced and often ambiguous environment.
- Prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Be detail oriented with a focus on delivering high quality results.
- Work and communicate professionally and effectively with others at all levels of the organization.
- Work independently, and as part of a team, to take on tasks with high level of complexity.
- Display initiative and strong sense of personal motivation as well as responsibility.
- Complete and manage projects with minimal direction.
- Be resourceful, flexible, and maintain the ability to react and respond quickly with a focus on accuracy.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Planning, Construction Management or a related degree and 10 or more years’ experience leading teams in commercial construction projects, new building construction and remodels. Experience working with EMaint and working in a multi-project multi-location environment is preferred OR equivalent combination of education and experience which will provide the ability to perform the essential functions of the position. Must have a valid driver’s license for operation of a motor vehicle in Oregon, Washington and/or Idaho and possess an acceptable driving record.
Interested in Learning More?
Head on over to our Placements/Opportunities page to see what else we’ve been working on!