Who we are
Founded in 2018, Birch Infrastructure PBLLC, develops, structures, owns and operates utility infrastructure to serve mission critical, hyperscale data centers. Birch is the first company focused exclusively on addressing the utility needs of colocation and hyperscale data center providers. The cloud is quickly outgrowing the available capacity of existing infrastructure. To serve multi-hundred MW loads, new infrastructure must be built; however the timeline to develop infrastructure is incompatible with cloud growth rates.
To ensure cloud providers have the infrastructure they need, when they need it, Birch develops infrastructure specific to the needs of data centers. By developing sites and addressing the long lead-time items ahead of the customer’s demand signal, Birch provides shovel ready sites with pre-negotiated utility agreements. Birch also ensures availability of renewable energy and water capacity required for the data center’s long-term growth. Birch mitigates regulatory uncertainty by owning the assets and providing long-term fixed price utility contracts Birch develops renewable energy and data center infrastructure projects across the United States.
Birch is an employee-owned, public benefit company (a public benefit company is a corporate status for companies that aim to make a positive impact on society and the environment in addition to earning a profit) and is committed to minimizing environmental impact and contributing to the economic development of rural communities in which the company operates. Birch has worked hard to build a collaborative organization where decision making is decentralized, and employees are empowered to innovate.
Who you are
You are a data leader who is entrepreneurial at heart and is passionate about next generation technology and innovation. You thrive in an environment where you have autonomy and enjoy being part of a rapidly growing organization. You are highly motivated to crack tough challenges with data with an unending thirst for learning. Collaborating with like-minded, industry leaders who have an unmatched commitment to the organizational goals and mission brings you energy. You desire to be a part of a company that gives back and provides renewable power where it is needed most.
What will you do
You will be the domain owner of Birch’s entire data envelope which will capture all of our data generated, consumed or in need of. As Birch is still in the start-up phase, you will need to build and develop the data roadmap as well as a high performing team to support the needs of the business today and scale for tomorrow. The ultimate goal of this position is to provide every team member at Birch a way to find, curate, consume and digest data in a platform that they understand and is easy to use so they can make better business decisions.
- Develops and implements master data model and strategy
- Identifies needs and recommends appropriate solutions by asking the right questions and understanding the business needs
- Create scalable solutions around structured and unstructured data sets
- Identification and creation of visualization tools
- Maintain the data interoperability of Birch’s federated data model
- In-charge of continuous improvement across the organization through automation and other methods
- Train, develop and educate team members across the organization and at all levels to better understand, interpret and use data and visualization tools
- Promotes data science methods and processes across Birch functions
- Manage and own projects through successful completion
- Leadership of data science team as well as thought leader throughout the organization
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Mathematics or related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years of R, Python and advanced ML, AI and other robotic processing
- Minimum 3 years of leadership experience leading teams of technical resources and data scientists
- Understanding of semantic structures
Interested in learning more?
Head on over to our Opportunities & Placements page to see what else we’ve been working on!