About the Company
SawStop is a technology-differentiated company that has become the world leader in premium table saws and accessories. SawStop’s saws are equipped Active Injury Mitigation (AIM), a technology the company pioneered. AIM detects contact between the user and the blade and deploys a brake to stop the blade in less than 5 milliseconds, avoiding serious injury.
SawStop’s AIM technology was invented by Steve Gass, a lifelong woodworker with a Ph.D. in physics. Dr. Gass, along with three colleagues, founded SawStop in 2000 to commercialize the technology. Working from Dr. Gass’ barn/shop, the founders created a new table saw incorporating AIM technology as well as many other improvements. That saw was an immediate success when released in late 2004 and the company has since essentially taken over the industrial table saw market. SawStop now has over 120,000 saws in the field and has documentation of over 5,000 fingers saved by SawStop saws.
SawStop was founded by patent attorneys with backgrounds in science and engineering. The company has received over 100 US and foreign patents to date and continues to file and enforce new patents on the inventions created through its ongoing R&D. SawStop focuses on premium quality woodworking products with an emphasis on safety. The company is uniquely positioned to grow, redoubling its focus on product innovation and industry leading quality.
In July 2017, a family-owned German power tool company, TTS Tooltechnic Systems, purchased SawStop. TTS was founded in 1925 and is respected around the world for their innovation, quality, and gold-standard market position. TTS (and their largest company, Festool) has a long and proven record of precision high-tech products. SawStop and Festool each focus on premier products in their respective markets and have minimal product overlap.
SawStop’s history has taken it from humble beginnings to North American dominance. SawStop has achieved this success quickly by creating market differentiation through better design and safer technology. By joining TTS, SawStop now has the ability to significantly expand market reach and product scope going forward.
About the Role
The National Sales Director will be a key member of the SawStop’s Sales Department as they work to aggressively execute the company’s revenue growth strategies while enriching its position as the undisputed leader of safer high-end, high-performance and high-innovation woodworking tools and accessories.
- Develop and implement effective sales strategies
- Lead nationwide sales team members to exceed sales targets
- Manage a territory and/or major accounts in addition to leading sales team
- Develop and execute strategies to enter and grow new markets and target customers
- Establish productive and professional relationships with key personnel in dealer accounts
- Negotiate and close agreements with large dealers
- Monitor and analyze performance metrics and suggest improvements
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual sales forecasts
- Perform research, identify and recruit new potential dealers opportunities
- Manage budget within established targets
- Proven work experience as a sales manager or director at the national level
- Experience managing a high-performance sales team
- An ability to understand and analyze sales performance metrics
- Solid customer service attitude with excellent negotiation skills
- Strong communication and team management skills
- Familiarity with woodworking retail and online channels
- Able to complete responsibilities in a timely, professional, and quality manner
- The ability to solve problems analytically and creatively – searching out relevant information and gauge its importance when making decisions
- Effective written and oral communication skills; able to express oneself clearly and in technical and non-technical terms
- Collaborative team player who can work with people in a variety of roles
- Consistently demonstrates personal integrity and respect for others
- Takes initiative, seeks and acts on opportunities to improve organization performance
- Minimum of 7 years sales experience managing a national sales team
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience in sales field
- Open to relocation to Portland, OR area
- Ability to travel as necessary (up to 75%)
Interested in learning more?
Head on over to our Placements/Opportunities page to see what else we’ve been working on!